Saturday, July 18, 2015

My journey... the beginning

Where to begin? 

I suppose I can tell you a bit about myself and why I've decided to make my way to the Great White North. This is my first time blogging, so please be gentle :)

My name is Cindy Gauthier. I'm a thirty-something southern belle living in a Virginia city where I have lived my entire life. I met my now husband (who is from Quebec) online in the fall of 2013. We connected instantly and three months later I was making my first trip to Canada. I remember making the 10 hour trip and finally reaching the boarder. I was so nervous. This was my first time leaving the country and I had no idea what to expect. After a brief interrogation I was in! I was filled with so much excitement and nervous energy that I was literally shaking! It made the three hour drive to my destination seem like a mere hour. Anyway, this was the first of three trips I made, each one more exciting than the last. Not only was I falling in love with my husband, but I was falling in love with Canada too. 
Our first picture together

Fast-forward to January 2015- We decided to get married! I was so excited! We originally planned to get married in Quebec in May of 2015. I planned on leaving Virginia in March to plan the event. Unfortunately that didn't work out. Some unforeseen events occurred so we ended up getting married March 14, 2015 (which is ultimate Pi day if you didn't know). After a very short 2 weeks together, and an even shorter honeymoon, my husband had to return to Quebec and I to Virginia. 
Our wedding day

This brings us to the present. We are finally starting the process of applying for permanent residency in Canada. I've attempted to research the process as much as possible in an attempt to get guidance from those whom have been through it already. So far I have only come across a couple of message boards. After countless hours of searching the web I decided to create this blog to document my journey. I hope that it may be helpful for others who are going through the same journey in the future. I plan on blogging about each step in the process as we take it, as well as any helpful hints I come across.

Thanks for reading! I hope that you find this and future entries helpful!



No comments:

Post a Comment